Preparing for New Zealand Part 1

The campus
As soon as I started touring colleges, I knew that I wanted to study abroad. This decision took the back burner until the this past August when I started looking into where exactly I want to go. I couldn't care less about historical or artsy stuff which makes Europe unattractive. I knew that I wanted to go somewhere that would be a once in a lifetime thing, somewhere a little wild. After much consideration I narrowed it down to Tanzania or New Zealand. I decided on New Zealand since the programs there offer more free time for me to explore. The study abroad department does a great job of helping you find the perfect program. After my meeting I went back to my room with ten booklets showing different programs. I picked to study at Massey University with IFSA-Butler.
Some hot springs
The program offers lots of excursions which are included in the fees. I'm really looking forward to the Adventure Weekend which includes quad biking, yachting, and sand tobogganing! The campus is located about 20 minutes from Auckland which is a major city. It is also right near tons of wilderness. This way I can get the best of both worlds. There are hot springs and rain forests not too far from campus.

The seasons are switched in New Zealand since it's in the southern hemisphere. So even though I will be going down in July, it will be winter when I get there. The climate on the North Island is pretty temperate though so it is still in the 50's even in winter. We get a two week spring break at the beginning of September which I plan on using to visit the South Island. That is the island that has most of the views you would picture when you think of New Zealand. The weather is still relatively warm there compared to our springs but in the higher elevations there is usually a lot of snow. This means that you can go skiing one day then bungee jumping and hiking the next. In other words, it's the best place on earth! I plan on going on the worlds largest swing while I am down there. Check out the video, it looks insane!

The hiking and views on the South Island are some of the best in the world so I'm sure my two weeks down there will be filled with adventure.
South Island
There is plenty to do on the North Island as well. If will be fun being so close to such a major city. I plan on bungee jumping off the harbor bridge which will be an experience since you have the option of getting dipped in the water. There is also backwater rafting on the North Island. This is when you go rafting underground. The river takes you to a cave full of glow warms and there are waterfalls that you get to jump off during your trip down the river. I saw this on a Rocket Power episode years ago and have wanted to do it ever since. That episode is actually what made me so interested in New Zealand in the first place, so thanks Nickelodeon! I can't wait to get down there. Less than two and a half months to go! I'll post again soon about the exciting information that I just found out today which is pretty awesome if you ask me. So be sure to check back within the next week!
Auckland aka the city of sails

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Milford Track!

Macklemore and Sam

Firefly Spotlight: Top Five Most Anticipated