My Last MOVE Trip

The MOVE program has been one of the most important parts of my time at Saint Mike's. I've had the privilege to go on an extended service trip every year and each trip has been a great experience. I did environmental work in Texas, worked with Habitat for Humanity and kids in Immokalee, had a life changing experience in the Dominican Republic and just got back from a week of working in a middle school in Buffalo.
Trip to Niagara Falls 
This year I applied to go on a trip like everyone else but was actual selected to be a trip leader since they always need to pull up a couple of people since there are more trips than there are extended service committee members. I was a little nervous at first since leading a group of ten people for a week seemed a little overwhelming but as soon as I met with my group I knew it would go well. I had an amazing group and we all became really close over the course of the week.

First day of school!
We worked at the NativityMiguel Middle School. If you click the link and watch the video you can get a really good picture of the mission of the school. There is a boys school and a girls school. The group was split into two groups of five so that we could work in both schools. We helped the kids with homework, hung out with them during lunch and did whatever odd jobs needed to be done. Sadly it was snowy in Buffalo last week so we had two snow days and didm;t get to bond with the kids as much as we would have liked. However, there was still lots of work to do on the snow days and we got a lot of cleaning and organizing done.

A little bit of snow
The last day was a half day and we got to organize all the activities for the girls. It was a great way to get to talk with all the girls since each of us stayed at an activity as all the girls cycled through. We ended the week with dinner at Duff's one of the many Buffalo wing restaurants. We got 150 wings which was a little bit of an overkill but they were really good.

A couple of the girls we worked with
I can never explain just how great these trips are but they really are amazing experiences and I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to go on four of these trips!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Milford Track!

Macklemore and Sam

Firefly Spotlight: Top Five Most Anticipated